Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

October 10, 2009

Pats on our backs

I always enjoy the parents-teachers meeting (PTM) whenever the school has it. This will be an indicative meeting to let me know how Ethyl has been adapting and performing in school be it intellectual or social skills.

Hubby and I took leave last Thursday to the school and attended Ethyl’s PTM session in her new school. She joined for 3 months; I prepared myself that the teachers may not have too much to share as she could have spent more time adapting and making friends.

We were welcomed by the friendly school administrator and the Principal. Sat down with Teacher S and she showed us some artwork that Ethyl has done, some photos of the experiments she does, last but not least, the reviews/feedback by the teachers.

Teacher S mentioned she is a very enthusiastic learner; she displays leadership qualities, has the initiative and pro-active in activities, loves to share and is able to follow instructions well. She understands what is being taught and expected of her and got along really well with peers.

Her English communication ability is good as well. She can converse really well and read story books/role play with emotions. Teachers all find her performance very entertaining. She loves music and movements, enjoys experimenting, outdoor activities, basically everything!

Teacher F, her Chinese teacher has really good feedback. She is the top student in her mandarin class. She excels far better than her peers, is able to learn and grasp meanings of words really swift. New songs that were taught to her, she can remember the rhythm and lyrics almost in one session. She is very impressed and asked if she is attending any Chinese enrichment class. Teacher F was shocked when I replied “No”.

Her Chinese ability supersedes her peers at the moment. She is able to converse in mandarin to the Chinese teachers without mixing English. She loves to share with teachers and friends what she has done over weekends, what is on her mind etc. One thing to note from the Chinese teacher, Ethyl finds her Chinese bored at times as she already know many words and able to read the Chinese readers that was given out. Thus there will be times whereby she requests teacher F to let her rest as she already knew what was taught. Teacher F agreed to let her rest and read or learn on her own while the peers gets the work done. Compared to her peers, she enjoys general knowledge learning rather than just reading stories from books.

Now, my worry comes in. This review is far more positive than what I expected. I know we have been reading Chinese newspapers with her; Hubby and I took turns to guide her through math, English and some general knowledge exercises. When the teachers both pointed out that Ethyl is excelling in most aspects, shall I change a ore academic environment for her?

Before the PTM, she has been telling me she wanted to change school as she has been waking up too early in the morning, and complained about the lack of school holidays. Mom also thought having school holidays for her is good as she gets a break and can enjoy more self learning activities or holiday camp programs.

Just so happened that I spoke to Ericia, and she shared with me the new school her little boy is joining. I have seen them at a road show once when we went to E!hub, and decided to give the Principal a call.

Hubby and I were impressed with the curriculum and Ethyl gets to have a feel of the K2 materials. I never like the idea of focusing too much on academic at kindy stage. This time, I succumbed. I decided that both Ethyl and Brayden shall be enrolled to this new school next year. Firstly because of the curriculum, secondly, closer to our vicinity, thirdly, they need not take school bus, but 3 stops bus ride away and Mom said she will send and fetch them to save me 600 bucks on bus fares.

I convinced both Hubby and myself that we will let Ethyl try, at least a more academic focused K2 session can prepare her for her P1 better. Having said that, I will revise our timetable based on her needs. If she felt she still wants to do her assessments after school, by all means, else we will trim down the number of exercises she needs to focus on a weekly basis.

Kids are the ones schooling and why am I so stressed up?! Nevertheless, we are proud of Ethyl and she has done a good job!

4 comments:

Jan said...

don't stress, she doing such a good job....i wish RayAnne could achieve at least 50% of what Ethyl is doing then I would be very satisfied already...:)

Cow said...

I also think Ethyl's learning capabilities had far excel those of her age. Ken's niece is about 8-9 onths older than Ethyl and I always think she is not as capable as Ethyl.

I am not "pian xin" ok... Its true..

jean said...

hey fannie, don't be too stressed up.. yes she is doing really well for her age. Good job, fannie!

Ericia said...

Hey Fannie... Dun get so stressed up... I believe in giving a good school environment from young and the rest is up to them... Ethyl is doing well... Just got to keep up with it... :)