Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

June 5, 2008

Am I Too Fierce?

My sis says I am too fierce/stern with Ethyl these days. I get rather impatient and will raise my voice at her when she does something which I felt that she could have done better. Have I forgotten she is just a 3 and a half year-old?

Thought through last night and realised that my expectations of her is quite high. Being a sensitive and understanding daughter of mine for the past 3 years, I realised that she is able to understand well and behave as desired. Her behaviour has been good and she has been pretty cooperative until Brayden arrives.

To me, I still feel that she can do it well. Her role in this household is clear, and so far she is able to show me she can do it. That is why whenever she did something which I felt she should not, I would flare at her.

Now I need to constantly remind myself that Ethyl needs attention too. Her change in behaviour is her way of telling me I could have neglected her feelings. She is just a kid...

3 comments:

LZmommy said...

I think I know how you feel... My girl being the eldest, I have high expectation of her too. I have to constantly remind myself she is only 6 and she is trying her best.

Let's do our best ok? :)

blurblur said...

Same here...i guess we all place high expectations on our eldest kid.

We just have to remind ourselves that they're still very much a child themselves, even though they're already gor gor or jie jie to their baby siblings...

Priscilla said...

Fannie, the first 6-8 weeks is settling in period for everyone in the family, and that usually affects the first child(emotionally) in the family the most. It is a steep learning curve and they are learning to be a jie jie for the first time. Just think about our experience as a first time mum/dad...it is the same feeling. They can feel fretful, lost, confused, guilty when things didn't work out but sometimes they just haven't got all the words to explain everything that goes on in their head. Give it time, time is always a good medicine.