Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

March 26, 2009

Surgery Journal Part 1 – Day 1 & 2

Little guy was down just 2 days ago. Paeds saw him, the infected lump had not fully erupted, but we still put him on augmentin as requested and agreed by Dr Tang (neuro surgeon) and Dr Ng (Paeds).

Yesterday afternoon,Mom called around 4ish informing me that Brayden is really not well. He had been very whiney, can’t eat, can’t drink, can’t sleep and refused to lie down. The lump seems bigger and there was discharge.

I hesitated no further and called Dr Tang. He is having surgery cases and had to run, he advised us to be admitted by our paeds, Dr Ng. Dr Ng discussed with Dr Tang briefly and called me. He had made the necessary arrangements and I left work earlier, went back home and brought little one to Mt Alvernia.

He was still whiney and grouchy from hunger, pain and I believe he was also lethargic.

Dr Ng saw us not too long after admission. Dr Tang called him after the surgery and they both are working on Brayden. I feel very much at ease actually. With a regular paeds working with our surgeon, and they both knew one another, it made things much easier for us.

Dr Tang came at 9ish and saw Brayden. He decided that the surgery needs to be performed either on the day itself or today morning. He didn’t want to delay as little boy is suffering and he is running a fever.

I knew I had to trust the Drs. I left the decision to him.

I ask hubby to go home after we have settled all the necessary. It was late, yet I can’t sleep. Seriously, I was really drained out. The night before I already can’t sleep well, and last night, I had to sleep in the hospital. It was not easy.

It pains my heart to see him like that. I really hate to see this happening. How come it has to be him? Is it really my fault? I can’t help but kept asking myself these repeatedly…I sobbed through the night.

However, seeing little one in good medical attention, somehow a part in me felt at ease.

26 March

brayden 006

taken before the surgery

His surgery was scheduled at 1145hrs. We need to fast him, and poor boy…his eyes were red and puffy from the cryings he had the day before.

Both Dr Choo (anaesthetist) and Dr Tang were delayed and poor guy was crying incessantly as he was too hungry and tired.

Finally, the Drs arrived after almost an hour. I was told I could follow him into the OT and make sure he was ok before leaving him in there for the procedure.

I did. I never thought I would be so brave and strong for this! I did not shed a tear; in fact I was so calm and poised then, but the Drs didn’t think so.

They sent me out of the OT with a nurse. They thought I was too unstable emotionally(?).

The supposed 30 minutes surgery took longer than expected. The short wait seemed the longest in my life.

Hearing the voice of Dr Tang, Hubby and I quickly jumped out of our seats and walked to him. As usual, his friendly smiles and assuring words were comforting. He couldn’t understand why the lump was so much bigger than he initially thought and the size of the lump was also different from the MRI scan.

Whatever it is, he did remove everything in there and sent the lump for tests. I hope the results will be good.

Little boy was brave. Dr tang said after the surgery, though under GA, little boy pulled out the mask even before Dr Choo could remove it. I guess he felt uncomfortable. He was still drowsy when we saw him outside the OT.

When the nurses needs to check his BP and take his temperature, he was very uncooperative as he was drowsy and I guess he felt some pain. Ethyl was with him, assuring him jiejie is around and held his hand, trying to comfort the upset brother and gave him assurance that we are there for him. This move is really sweet! I am sure the little guy can feel the love from her too!brayden 010

the little scar that didn’t look too threatening

It took him about 3 hours to be back to him alert self. His smiles were really comforting to me.

brayden 015

He is now sleeping peacefully next to me. Though he had IV inserted, he was not too affected by it.

I really appreciate the support given to us during this period. Thanks for the SMS-es, IM, comments on facebook, visits and phone calls. We really appreciate! Thank you…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't be silly! it's not ur fault. Don't let insensitive comments influence you into thinking it's ur fault. Do update us on the results of the test.

I'm sure brayden will be back to his usual self real soon. He looks great just nwo when we saw him. Smiley as usual. Brave boy.

Irene said...

Happy healing brave Brayden!

Michelle said...

Great to hear that the lump has finally removed. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

Take care!

Bray, recover soon ok. U got such a lovely family to support u. Got to be strong.

blurblur said...

Big hugs to the brave little boy and the strong mummy! :)

Do keep us posted of the results...take care!

Anonymous said...

hi fannie,

didn't know brayden went for surgery, glad to know the surgery went smooth and he is alright now.

huggies, do take care of yourself too.

hope he recovers well and quickly. may he be healthy and smiley always.

Aces Family said...

Hi Fannie,

Wishing Brayden a smooth recovery and best regards to the family..: )

Take care,

astee

muffin girl said...

Speedy recovery, Brayden!